The MPI Toronto Chapter believes in building relationships with its members. These relationships are built on trust and respect and we believe that is the way business should be operated. Establishing trust and respect is done by telling you what information we will require from you, how this information will be handled, and how this information will be kept safe. We know that your personal information is a valued asset and we want you to know that we will treat it carefully.
Collecting Personal Information
MPI and the MPI Toronto Chapter collect personal information to serve your needs. As an international association headquartered in the United States , MPI is not subject to the Canadian Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA) but MPI Canadian Chapters are. This policy relates to the collection and handling of personal information by the MPI Toronto Chapter only.
According to PIPEDA, “personal information” refers to any information about an identifiable individual that may be provided orally, electronically or in written form. It includes but is not limited to:
- Member personal contact and mailing information such as your home address, home telephone number and email address
- Credit Card or other payment information collected by the MPI Toronto Chapter for payment of fees for chapter events
- Information of a personal nature provided on awards applications, nomination forms, surveys, questionnaires, evaluations, etc. such as past work and volunteer experiences, personal statements and preferences, etc.
- Photographs taken at MPI events.
Consent to Use Personal Information
The MPI Toronto Chapter seeks to obtain the consent of all its Members with respect to the collection, use and disclosure of personal information.
As part of our relationship with our members, the MPI Toronto Chapter may require your personal information to:
- identify you;
- understand your needs;
- confirm your membership information;
- provide you with ongoing member services;
- establish and maintain communication;
- respond to your inquiries;
- develop, improve, market, or provide products and services to you;
- maintain an accurate history of your membership in the chapter
- work with our partners and sponsors to develop, improve, market or provide products and services to you (which may include sale of membership lists in the form of business contact information of members);
- meet legal and regulatory requirements.
It is important to note that the Act does not consider “business contact information” to be personal information. As such, the Act states, “Personal information does not include the name, title, business address or telephone number of an employee of an organization.” (Please seehttp://www.privcom.gc.ca/information/guide_e.asp).
From time to time, the MPI Toronto Chapter shares its members’ business contact information with partners and/or sponsors who have provided a service or offered support to the chapter in exchange for member business contact information. The data provided could be used by those partners and sponsors for commercial purposes.
However, the Chapter respects the right of its members who choose to be excluded from business contact information distribution. If a member does not wish to be included in the sale of membership labels, or the general release of business contact information, the member may simply indicate their wish in the ‘opt out’ box indicated on membership forms, or event registration forms.
Please note that the MPI Toronto Chapter does not, at any time, release email addresses or fax numbers to any partner or sponsor. Emails and faxes are used strictly for chapter communication, and not for outside/non-chapter commercial purposes.
When Do We Share Personal Information
There are some circumstances where the MPI Toronto Chapter may share some personal information. For example:
- Your personal information may be disclosed to an organization or individual retained by the MPI Toronto Chapter to perform functions on our behalf, including but not limited to, needs assessments or marketing studies. Any such disclosure of personal information from the MPI Toronto Chapter is done on a confidential basis and only for the purpose for which it was shared;
- We may disclose personal information to a public authority or agent of a public authority, if in our reasonable judgement, it appears that there is imminent danger to life or property, which could be avoided or minimized by disclosure of the personal information;
- We may disclose personal information if required to do so by law;
- We may disclose personal information to municipal authorities for statistical purposes.
Safeguarding Personal Information
The MPI Toronto Chapter will not collect, use or disclose your personal information for any purpose other than those identified above, except with your consent;
- The MPI Toronto Chapter will protect the confidentiality of your personal information when doing business internally or externally with other organizations;
- The MPI Toronto Chapter will protect your personal information with appropriate and effective security safeguards;
- The MPI Toronto Chapter will strive to keep your personal information as accurate and up to date as is necessary for the purposes identified above and will correct any errors or omissions if necessary;
- The MPI Toronto Chapter will only retain your personal information for as long as is reasonable for the purposes identified above or as may be required by law.
Accessing Personal Information
The MPI Toronto Chapter provides individuals with the opportunity to access their personal information that is held by the MPI Toronto Chapter, subject to exceptions permitted by law. If you require further information, please contact our Privacy Officer by leaving a message at our office at (905) 567-9591 or by fax at (905) 567-9961 or by email email@example.com.
This policy is in effect as of January 1, 2006. The MPI Toronto Chapter will, from time to time, review and revise the privacy practices and this Policy. In the event of any amendment, a notice will be posted on our website (www.mpitoronto.org) or in the publications produced by the MPI Toronto Chapter. Policy changes will apply to the information collected from the date of posting to the website.
January 1, 2006